The American Red Cross is currently reporting a critical shortage of blood and platelets. This means that people who need life-saving transfusions—including trauma victims, surgical patients, and cancer patients—may not be able to get them when they are needed. To help address this shortage, CYC is hosting our first-ever blood drive lottery! Members and friends of CYC who sign up for a donation appointment in August will be entered for a chance to win prizes!
- $50 bubble tea gift card
- A CYC prize bag
- Choi’s Chicken and Trout swag bag
- Molten Flistatec volleyball (if a non-volleyball player wins this prize, we will find an appropriate substitute prize).
HOW TO ENTER:
- Find a blood drive online or download the Blood Donor App to schedule your appointment
- Decide on type of donation to make: whole blood, power red, plasma, or platelets (see details below)
- Sign up here to enter the prize drawing
We will announce the prize drawings via email and the CYC Discord server in early September.
What type of donation should you make?
- All blood types, except for type O negative and type B negative, are encouraged to try platelet donation.
- Type O negative and type B negative can make the most impact for patients in need by continuing to give whole blood or a Power Red donation.
- If you are type AB you can make the most impact by donating plasma. It’s similar to donating platelets and is offered at select American Red Cross Donation Centers. When you make a plasma donation, you can donate up to three times the plasma that would be collected during a regular blood or platelet donation, allowing you to make more impact with fewer donations.
While we recommend donating through the American Red Cross due to their long history of humanitarian work, their high safety standards, and a variety of convenient locations, you may also explore other donation options to find something that works for you! You must be 17 years old (16 with parental consent) and weigh at least 110 pounds to donate blood.